Established in 1795, the village of Millville had begun just as its name implies, as a series of mills powered by the waters of the old Union Mill Pond formed from damming the Maurice River. Millville slowly grew with the establishment of glass factories and a failed effort in 1837 to make Millville the county seat of government. But between 1850 and 1860 Millville’s population nearly tripled to 3,500 residents. Under this rapid growth several local citizens decided to establish the Millville Bank, incorporated in 1857.
The year was 1815, and Bridgetown (now Bridgeton) was booming having recently been named the seat of government for Cumberland County. The town has developed largely on the west side of the Cohansey River, and in 1815 the affluent Reeves brothers erected a cut nail factory, the first major industry in the town. At the time, the only banks south of Trenton were the Farmers Bank in Mount Holly and the National State Bank of Camden. Several prominent citizens joined together to charter a bank in Bridgetown to provide services to the quickly growing community.