Broad Street Presbyterian Church

For much of the 18th century in Bridgetown, which will eventually change its name to Bridgeton, there existed no church for Presbyterians, who were a large and growing segment of the local population. For church services they are forced to either conduct services in the Courthouse or travel to churches in Greenwich, Fairfield or Deerfield several miles away. In 1792, about two acres of land were donated along King’s Highway which was the main road from Bridgeton to Greenwich and ran along the south end of the church construction site. In 1800, this main route was relocated to the north and is today Broad Street (Route 49).