Old Stone Schoolhouse

In 1725 a farmer along Ye Greate Street in Greenwich named Zachariah Barrow died and in his will left his land “for the benefit of a free school for the Township of Greenwich forever.” The land in question ran along the east side of Ye Greate Street. In 1749, the land was surveyed and sold to David Sheppard to be farmed, but the deed included the payment of a yearly rent of thirteen Pounds, for the use of a free school on ground set aside for that purpose.